My dog swallowed my medicine – what do i do?

11
Salvador Heller asked a question: My dog swallowed my medicine – what do i do?
Asked By: Salvador Heller
Date created: Thu, May 20, 2021 12:16 PM
Date updated: Tue, Nov 8, 2022 12:01 PM

Content

Video answer: What to do if your dog swallows drugs

What to do if your dog swallows drugs

Top best answers to the question «My dog swallowed my medicine – what do i do»

If you suspect that your pet has eaten any human medications, call your veterinarian or the 24-hour Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 immediately.

Video answer: Get your pet to swallow a pill

Get your pet to swallow a pill

10 other answers

If you witness the ingestion of a medication, the first thing to do is to call your veterinarian, local emergency facility or animal poison control hot line. Be prepared to give the name of the medication, how many tablets were ingested and at what time the ingestion occurred. Follow their instructions on what to do.

If you spill a liquid or topical medicine, immediately and thoroughly clean it up. If you spill your pills, pick them up right away and count them. Never give your dog any kind of medication or start a supplement without first talking with your veterinarian.

If your dog swallowed something toxic or potentially toxic, such as antifreeze, chocolate, medications or marijuana in any form, contact your veterinarian or ASPCA poison control ( 888-426-4435 ) immediately. If your dog is having trouble breathing, contact your veterinarian right away.

Call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-800-213-6680 with any concerns. Do not attempt to induce vomiting at home. These efforts often fail and cause significant stress to your pet, and most importantly, precious time is lost by allowing the medications to be absorbed from the stomach.

Nyquil contains Acetaminophen which, even at low doses, can be toxic to dogs. If she ate it within the past hour you should try and get her to vomit it back up by giving her hydrogen peroxide orally. Give 1 to 2 tablespoons to a Chihuahua sized dog, 10 to 15 tablespoons to a lab sized dog.

Better yet, take medications in a room your dog does not have access to. Keep all medication and supplement bottles securely closed with childproof caps. If you spill a liquid or topical medicine ...

Keep the animal under observation. Induce vomiting, followed by the administration of activated charcoal to absorb any of the drugs that remain in the stomach. Administer IV fluids to keep the animal hydrated and protect against organ damage.

This could be a medical emergency, so you’ll need to call the vet right away. Try to determine how many Imodium tablets your dog has swallowed and take the product packaging with you to the vet’s. Depending on how long ago your canine companion swallowed the medication, the vet may be able to pump the dog’s stomach or use other methods to rid his system of the Imodium.

You can choose to monitor her (+/- treat her with activated charcoal to absorb as much of the drug as possible) or induce vomiting now (to avoid any further issues). To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight).

If you believe that your pet dog ingested blood pressure-lowering drug Lisinopril, you need to contact the veterinarian immediately. The first and foremost thing you need to do is to induce vomiting as soon as you know that your dog ate blood pressure-lowering drugs.

Your Answer

Video answer: 3 dog yeast infection home remedies and treatments

3 dog yeast infection home remedies and treatments