Top best answers to the question «What happens if you give a cat too many antibiotics»
- If you accidentally give your cat more antibiotics than your vet has told you to, it can make your cat unwell. While it’s rare for a second dose of antibiotics to cause any serious harm, it’s better to be safe than sorry, so talk to your vet.
7 other answers
Toxicity to pets. Antibiotics are commonly used in veterinary medicine to treat bacterial infections in dogs and cats. When antibiotics are ingested in toxic amounts, it can result in mild to severe signs ranging from gastrointestinal signs (e.g., drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance, discolored teeth), metabolic signs (e.g., skin lesions, ...
If you still have a to wait a few days to see the vet I would go to a local pet store and find some probiotics or Bene-Bac to add to what he's eating It'll help provide beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract that may have been lost due to the over use of antibiotics, this is probably causing the loose stool, but a vet would dive deeper into the loose stool, especially if it in unrelated to the antibiotics.
skip doses or fail to use the entire course of antibiotics as prescribed. Giving an antibiotic willy nilly or stopping short of the whole course can prove far worse than not using antibiotics at all. start using an antibiotic you happen to have “left over from the last time.”.
However, if a cat were to get into and consume an amount of amoxicillin much higher than a typically prescribed dosage, like say, a 500mg human tablet, severe digestive upset may occur. Neurologic changes, like an inability to walk normally (termed ataxia) have been reported in dogs, as well as elevated heart rate and breathing changes.
In other words…. DON’T skip doses or fail to use the entire course of antibiotics as prescribed to your cat. Giving an antibiotic willy nilly or stopping short of the whole course can prove far worse than not using antibiotics at all. DON’T start using an antibiotic you happen to have “left over from the last time.”.
If your cat has an infection caused by bacterium resistant to amoxicillin, it will have very serious consequences: it will destroy the bacteria that are part of your cat's immune system and the infection-causing bacteria will multiply without any bacterial competition, aggravating the condition in a very dangerous way.
A mild overdose of antibiotics such as amoxicillin has a low chance of causing severe damage but taking a large dose of it may cause permanent damage to the organs. There are several management options available to help in these kind of situation [1, 2, 3].