What is the typical profit margin for a dentist office?

11
Reuben Auer asked a question: What is the typical profit margin for a dentist office?
Asked By: Reuben Auer
Date created: Fri, Mar 5, 2021 6:41 PM
Date updated: Sun, Jun 26, 2022 6:18 PM

Content

Top best answers to the question «What is the typical profit margin for a dentist office»

This is how much money you have left before taxes, depreciation, and some other expenses that your accountant will claim when it's time to file taxes. The average dental practice has a gross profit margin of 40%.

The average dental practice has a gross profit margin of 40%.

9 other answers

What is the typical profit margin for a dentist office? You should also consider the overall profitability of the practice. The profit margin of the dental practice you’re considering should be at least 40%. A 40% profit margin (or 60%

More collections means more patients and more procedures, which may mean more hygienists, more office staff, or maybe an associate. It seems the limit to how much dentistry one doctor can do while also effectively managing the business itself is somewhere between $1M and $2M in collections.

The goal is to build up the retained earnings fund to a minimal amount that is sufficient enough to cover costs in order to keep the business open. 10%-20% of the profit, after overhead that is paid for, should go to the retained earning fund. The rest should go to pay off debt.

Meaning, dental practice owners are spending around 75% of their revenues on overheads, leaving only about 25% profit margin. To interpret this further, the average dental office is losing over $600,000 annually to overhead costs

The formula is simple: (fee-COGS) / fee x 100. As I show in the above referenced article, the gross profit margin for a private fee crown is 86% in my practice. That means 86% of the revenue that comes to me for that crown is available for my net profit and to pay the rest of my overhead.

I am in my 4th year of a scratch startup and the practice's collections are on track to reach $1.2 mil this year. YTD the profit margin is only 16%. I'd say 10-15% AFTER "normal" comp for the doctors. I know the Levin Group says it should be 38-40%. That's what a SOLO doctor NETS after their overhead; you might be comparing apples and oranges.

Gross Margin 67.43% 71.35% 71.25% 0.00% Selling, General & Administrative Expenses 106.22% 61.27% 60.25% 68.30% Advertising Expenses 1.36% 0.69% 0.58% 1.60% Profit Before Interest and Taxes-33.33%

$130,000 = median annual net income, general practitioners in private practice, limited to dentists with dental school graduation years 2016-2018. Among this group of dentists, half earned between $100,000 and $160,000 annually. Source: 2020 Survey of Dental Practice.

Office and Administrative Support Occupations 30% Information and Record Clerks 9% Receptionists and Information Clerks 8% Receptionists and Information Clerks 8% Secretaries and Administrative Assistants 11% 11% 9%

Your Answer